This module provides insights into the routes based on the travellers' locations, enabling airlines and airports to optimise their network and marketing campaigns. In addition, Skyscanner’s traveller location data offers an unprecedented look into traveller demand from their point of search instead of the usual point of sale to help airports optimise their catchment and grow their reach.
Setting up new analysis and filtering
You will be prompted to start creating when you enter the module for the first time. Use the New analysis button.
Will I lose the last search I did before this update?
No. Any previous searches created when you last logged in will be saved until you delete them.
What if I want to create a new analysis?
From this starting point, you can create new, multiple analyses and save your filters for your next visit.
Can I create more than one analysis?
Yes, you can create as many analyses as you need.
How do I create and save analyses?
- Click on the New analysis button to create a new analysis.
- Give the analysis a title relevant to your search. NOTE: Skipping this step will create a default title and name the analysis by the current date.
- Once the analysis is set up, the filters will appear, prompting you to start filtering. Start your search by choosing your Traveller location, Routes and Travel Month.
How do I delete analyses?
You can delete analyses by clicking the three dots on the analysis and selecting delete.
Using the filters
Use as many filters as you need to find the data you are looking for.
Note - some filters will be unavailable (i.e. Airport) until entering data into other filters.
Traveller location filter
You can select a country, city or district to include Travellers based in these locations.
- Enter a country, city or district into the search field.
- Click the place name from the list to add it to the locations section.
- Clear selections by clicking on the x within the individual place name or the Clear all button.
You can easily select routes based on origin and destination.
There are multiple ways to search, select, and deselect origins and destinations:
- Enter an origin or destination into the text field. This can be a city or airport name or IATA code.
- Search for a country by clicking the country radio button and entering the country name into the text field.
- You can also find a country by using the drop-down country list.
- Clear selections by clicking on the individual route indicator, which appears when you've selected an origin or destination or by clicking the Clear all button.
- NOTE: Selections are limited to 5 origins and five destinations.
- Once origins and destinations are selected, the Routes section on the right of the filter will summarise your choices and display all possible combinations.
You can select the month or months when the traveller's trip takes place.
- 36 past and 12 future travel months searched by travellers on Skyscanner will appear in the filter (including the current month).
- Historical travel months are included from 2019 onwards.
- The Travel Month start period will always be the same as the Search Month start period because a trip can't occur before it was searched.
- Select one or multiple search months from the list by clicking the month buttons; these will appear dark blue once selected.
- Only continuous month selection is allowed. For example: if you click on January and June month buttons, February, March, April, and May will be auto-selected to show trends for those months.
- A single month selection, e.g. May 2020, will display in the Travel Month filter button as May 2020. If two months are selected, it will appear as Months(2).
- All months can be selected by clicking the Select all button, and all months are cleared by clicking the Clear button.
- A handy indicator at the top of the filter displays a summary of your selection period, e.g. January 2019 - June 2019.
You can select the month or months when the traveller's search occurred.
You can select the list of airports serving the selected route.
You can select the markets representing countries selected by travellers on Skyscanner when they carry out their searches.
By default, all markets are selected. However, the filter may restrict the number of markets shown based on a partner's subscription set-up. The total market count will appear in the drop-down.
Markets are displayed by Region > Country.
There are multiple ways to search, select and deselect markets:
Day of week
After entering your required filters, There is an Apply Changes option. Clicking this button will show you the results based on your criteria.
In the example we will look at here, I've filtered it to show all Travellers based in Scotland who searched on Skyscanner since January 2021 and travelling to Spain in 2022.
The data presented on the screen contains the top 10 routes highlighted but remember that you can view the Top 1000 routes data in the excel export, and the rest is grouped under others.
Looking at the analysis on screen, you can see below that the data is broken down into the following tabs:
- Top routes - You can compare the top 10 routes based on selected traveller location(s) by passenger volume. The rest of the routes are grouped under Others in the analysis table. The Export excel file has the Top 1000 routes with all other routes grouped under Others. This data can be viewed as Total searches or Total redirects.
- Top origins - You can compare the top 10 origins based on the selected traveller location(s) by passenger volume. The rest of the origins are grouped under Others in the analysis table. The Export excel file has the Top 1000 origins with all other routes grouped under Others. This data can be viewed as Total searches or Total redirects.
- Top destinations - You can compare the top 10 destinations based on the selected traveller location(s) by passenger volume. The rest of the destinations are grouped under Others in the analysis table. The Export excel file has the Top 1000 destinations with all other routes grouped under Others. This data can be viewed as Total searches or Total redirects.
In the bottom half of the Analysis page, you can compare the top 10 routes based on searches and redirects from your selected traveller location(s).
The route is based on searches and redirects from selected traveller location(s).
You will often find an 'Other' entry in the Routes column. This includes any entries not included in the top 10. This data will be broken down in the Export field.
The total number of searches on Skyscanner for a given route is based on the months selected in the Search period filter.
A percentage share of searches for the specific user city location. Compared to the total number of searches on Skyscanner.
The total number redirects on Skyscanner for a given route based on the months selected in the Travel months filter.
A percentage share of redirects for the specific user city location. Compared to the total number of redirects on Skyscanner.
Redirect to Search %
A ratio between redirects and searches (CTR) on Skyscanner for a given route based on your Travel month and Search period filter selections.